Tuesday, October 9, 2007

St Denis - Universite

Université Paris VIII - Vincennes-Saint-Denis

I went to the last station of one of the subway lines going into the banlieu de St. Denis just outside of Paris. What I found really shocked me. 1st the University founded after "the contentious events of 1968" to make university more accessible to the disenfranchised and where Michel Foucault taught for many years.
I used their great library and I was happy to find many minority students working hard on Sunday even before the semester started.
Then I walked outside of St. Denis into the town of Stain. What I found was incredible. Nice public housing, and next to it open green lands, not to mention burn up apartments who are not being repaired!












And next door:






The streets and buildings in the village of Stain have names such as Salvador Allende and Che Guevara!




No comments: